Maggots be used for removing organic waste


20/06/2011

A group of researchers from the University of Alicante (Spain), presented the results of the pilot project, which involves the use of fly larvae to reduce the number of bowel movements and animal manure environmentally sustainable manner.

The research team engaged bionomic, systematic and applied research insects, led by Professor Santos Rojo (Santos Rojo), began work on the development of cooperation with proekta.V Flysoil SL, they were able to produce on an industrial scale fly-called black lvink ( Hermetia illucens). This is the kind of tropical origin, but settled down in the Mediterranean region since the 1960’s. The larvae of this insect species have a natural ability to feed on organic material from other sources, including waste.

Researchers selected from established colonies flies most effective species for this purpose. For the past two years, they have conducted tests concerning excreta of animals from zoos. In particular, the researchers presented the results of an experiment which was carried out in a zoological park Terra Natura Benidorm, where the fly larvae were treated and removed about 90% of organic waste produced by the animals in the park. The remaining 10% of the organic material has been converted to an organic compost (fertilizer).

Benidorm plant is divided into two divisions: biootdel that displays the breed flies and where the eggs are laid, and the department for processing, where the larvae feed on organic material. When the larvae reach a certain size, they are separated from the waste, biomass is processed to obtain other economically valuable and reusable products.

Thus, in addition to the organic fertilizer, biomass larvae can be used as raw material for production of other ancillary products from biodiesel or biological components used in the pharmaceutical and animal feed finishing necessary, for example in aquaculture (cultivation and cultivation of aquatic organisms) .

To date, 20 million larvae per plant capable of digesting ton of waste per day, which indicates that this technology works efficiently and quickly than other standard methods and conventional kompostinga vermikompostinga which removes waste using earthworms.

"An important part of the technological foundation for this work comes from the project LIFE-Environment Ecodiptera, scientifically coordinated the University of Alicante and focused on the biodegradation of pig manure. Nevertheless, our research group has developed protocols for breeding and selection of different types of insects that allow the the use of this advanced technology in relation to a variety of organic wastes and by-products from various sources (food and agriculture ...) "- explained Professor Roho.Original: Sciencedaily Translation: M. Potter


Scientists have proven that human bird brains
In the Adriatic Sea for the first time caught a poisonous puffer fish
It tracks the movement evolved into communion
Giant rat kills predators with poisonous hair
Silk thread tarantulas are at his feet